Gold has been treasured since beginning of history, gold is softy, shiny, dense and malleable so it can be crafted into a wide variety from fine jewelleries and currency coins to electrical appliances and much more.
*Gold can come as yellow, white, rose and more colours.
Yellow gold is the most popular and traditional colour as yellow is the gold neutral colour, Gold Yellow rings are sell of 9,18 and 22 carats. 9ct yellow gold is the lowest that can be termed gold in the UK. 9ct gold is 37.5% pure gold, with other metals making up the other 62.5%. 9ct yellow gold is favoured by some as the high proportion of other metals makes it harder, if you want a longer lasting ring then 9ct is the right choice for you.
White gold is created through alloying pure gold with white metals such as palladium in addition it is usually plated with rhodium to create a harder surface with a brighter shine.
White gold has become the overwhelming choice for wedding bands in Britain and US.
CARATAGE is the measurement of purity of gold alloyed with other metals.
24 carats are the purest gold with no other metals, 18 carat gold contains 75% gold and 25% other metals like copper and silver.
In UK, Ireland, France, Austria and Portugal the lowest caratage permitted is 9ct.
In Denmark and Greece is 8 carats.
The alloying metal are the typical of those used by the local jewellery industry.
(For more information, click here)
Since king Louis ix of France and Edward 1 of England in the 1200s gold has been hallmarks. In Uk all gold products sold on the home market must be hallmarked at Assay offices in London, Birmingham, Sheffield and Edinburgh. (For more information click here) .
Each Metal (Gold, Silver, Platinum and more have their own marks and number and each Assay Office branch has its own symbol.
(For more information about British Hallmark and Assay Office click here)
The weight of gold is measured in troy ounces:
1 Troy Ounces = 31.103 gram = 0.0311 Kg
(For more information and calculation click here)